2011-2012 Parents & Family Association Grant AwardsPosted on: December 6, 2011
The UA Parents & Family Association (PFA) is excited to announce the 2011-2012 grant award recipients. Thanks to the generosity of UA parents, PFA will be able to award a total of $13,818 in grants to seven UA programs and departments. These grants provide necessary financial support for programs including campus safety, academic assistance and health and wellness. This year's grant winners include:
- Safe Ride ($2,000) - The ASUA Safe Ride serves the needs of the University community by providing a free, safe ride for students when traveling alone (or in group of 3 or less) on campus at night and by providing educational workshops and programs on campus safety.
- UA Career Services – Career Intervention for Undecided Students ($2,000)** - Career Services will host the Center for Exploratory Students during Freshmen Orientation as they advise the incoming undecided freshmen. The program will include passive programming, to help educate students on opportunities, options and resources available though career services for students to read while they wait to see their advisor.
- Center for Exploratory Students – Pizza with a Professional ($2,000) – The support from this grant will benefit students who are seeking ways to discover viable routes to their professional goals. The bulk of this grant will go towards creating a website to keep students informed of events, tips for maximizing their personal success at these events, and more.
- Dean of Students Office – Student Safety and Education ($1,818) – A new campaign strategy called, “Be a Friend, Do Something” will address specific safety priorities for students. The first priority will focus on getting safety resource information directly into the hands of the students. The other will provide direct safety tools for students to have throughout their time at the UA.
- Scholarship Universe – Financial Aid Assistance ($2,000) - Scholarship Universe is an exciting scholarship matching service created for UA students. Students complete an individualized student scholarship profile and are matched to UA and outside scholarship opportunities for which they are eligible.
- UA BookStores – UA Reads Program ($2,000)** - UA Reads provides numerous learning and service opportunities for students including: in-person and online discussions (both in and out of classrooms); enhancement of critical thinking, analytical and communication skills; and opportunities for social engagement and personal growth. UA Reads will be bringing author Thomas Mullen to campus to speak, and will provide free copies of his book, The Last Town on Earth, to students who attend the event.
- UAPD – Liaison Program & Annual Spring Break Safety Fair ($2,000) – The UAPD strives to maintain a close connection with the students of UA. UAPD will use this money to help train the 226 resident assistants in the residence halls to manage safety and criminal issues within the halls, as well as provide a resource on the campus mall during the Spring Break Safety Fair to provide students with information on how to stay safe while they are away from campus.
**Grant is pending funds received during the Parents & Family Association Golf Tournament.
UA students and the Parents & Family Association want to thank all the parents who made contributions to make these grants possible!