With a steadily increasing international student population, CESL was established as a summer program in 1968, rapidly expanding to year-round programs in 1970. In 1977 the acclaimed CESL program moved into its present location on North Campus Drive. CESL provides English language training, American cultural studies, ESL classroom research and special ESP training programs to students and trainees from throughout the world. CESL has trained more than 21,000 students, scholars and professionals from a rich mix of national origins. The CESL building was one of the first PWA buildings on the campus built in 1935.