The University of Arizona is a premier, public research university. The National Science Foundation ranks the UA 20th in research and development expenditures among public universities and colleges, and 33rd among US public and private universities and colleges.
The NSF also ranks the UA No. 1 in physical sciences research among US public institutions. U.S. News & World Report ranks the UA among America’s Best Colleges and the Princeton Review lists the UA as one of “The Best Western Colleges.” The UA ranks No. 68 in the world and No. 42 nationally according to the Center for University World Rankings. The UA is one of the nation’s top producers of Fulbright Scholars.
The University of Arizona is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), one of 62 leading public and private research universities in the United States and Canada and the only AAU member in Arizona. Membership in AAU is by invitation and is based on the high quality of programs of academic research and scholarship and undergraduate, graduate, and professional education, as well as general recognition that a university is outstanding by reason of the excellence of its research and education programs.
In areas as diverse as astronomy, medicine, optics, entrepreneurship, and dance, UA faculty and programs are among the nation's best.
National & International Awards
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences (17)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows (80)
- Fulbright Scholars - Council for International Exchange of Scholars (48)
- Guggenheim Fellowship Award Winners (41)
- MacArthur Fellows Program - The John D. and Catherine T MacArthur Foundation (7)
- National Academies Institute of Medicine (6)
- National Academy of Education (2)
- National Academy of Engineering (16)
- National Academy of Sciences (22)
- Nobel Prize Winners (3)
- Pulitzer Prize Winners (2)
- Poet Laureates (1)
University Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Outreach Faculty (19)
- Distinguished Professors (39)
- Graduate & Professional Education Teaching & Mentoring Awards (12)
- Henry and Phyllis Koffler Prize in Public Service/Outreach (8)
- Henry and Phyllis Koffler Prize in Research/Scholarship/Creative Activity (10)
- Henry and Phyllis Koffler Prize in Teaching (7)
- Provost's General Education Teaching Award (39)
- Regents Professors (102)